Thursday, November 2, 2017

Navy, White & Gold for AHSC #236

Hello again, crafty friends!  Once again, Michelle Stewart has brought us another fabulous sketch to work with this week over at Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge.  As soon as I saw it, I knew it was time to challenge myself to something I'd been thinking about for some time.  Let's get started!

The holidays can be difficult for many of us, particularly after the loss of a loved one.  Some very dear friends have lost not one but two sons in recent years to a rare disease, Epidermolysis Bullosa or EB for short, and the children born with this condition are often referred to as "butterfly children."  So I've been trying to come up with butterfly themed cards to send them every now and then to let them know I'm thinking of them, and lately I've been thinking about how to best create an image of two butterflies flying out of a jar, and this week's AHSC sketch lent itself perfectly with what I had in mind.


details:  I needed some space to play with for this one so the white card base is 5 x 7" and the Sapphire blue paper with white lines (from last year's Enchantment fundamentals by CTMH) is 4.75 x 6.75."  I used the retired Art Philosophy cartridge for the butterfly images, using the gold-flower imprinted paper from the Live Beautifully kit for the base and gold glitter paper for the top layer.  I used another paper from the Live Beautifully kit (white with small gold dots) and a scallop border punch for the 3 horizontal stipes.  I chose white cardstock and gold foil paper with another cut from the AP cartridge to frame this sentiment from the retired "Say It All" set, which was stamped with sapphire ink.  I used the Flower Market cartridge and white vellum to create the jar, which was embellished with white and gold ribbon.  BTW, choosing an adhesive that looks good under vellum can be tricky but I liked the way the look I got after I ran the die cut through my Xyron adhesive applicator; it gave a uniform coverage that I thought made the vellum look even  more like a glass jar where it secured to the paper.
Bonus: for those that have both the Art Philosophy and Flower Market cartridges and want to create their own versions of this card:  https://design.cricut.com/#/landing/user-project/72796141

So that's all there is to this one.  We would love to see your take on this sketch too!  As always, you have until 10:55 pm Eastern/9:55 pm Central on Sunday, 11/6/17, to link your projects HERE.  You can also check out the rest of the design team's projects as well the top 3 from last week's sketch by following THIS link.  Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting!  ~~  Annette

1 comment: